Monday, August 6, 2007

Streaming Judaism; ABC's 'Fat March'



The New York Times has a story today about streaming media on the Internet, and mentions The Jewish Television Network, a nonprofit television production and distribution company. The feature I like is the streaming music videos by Jewish performers. (I never realized The Beastie Boys were Jewish).

Here's a Beck music video from the late 1990s Midnite Vultures album featuring actor Jack Black and some interesting lyrics, for a religious network:

"I want to defy the logic of all sexx laws
Let the handcuffs slip off your wrist
I'll let you be my chaperone at the halfway home
I'm a full grown man but I'm not afraid to cry..."
Can somebody check to see if that's all kosher?

Meanwhile, in other media news, the youth minister at First Baptist Church in Dallas is a contestant on a new ABC-TV reality show called Fat March. Shane Sisk weighs 500 pounds. A recruiter for the show saw Sisk at the airport and signed him up on the spot.

The program will change the contestants' diets and march them 570 miles through nine states. They can vote someone off the team like on Survivor, and they're all scrambling for a $1.2 million shared jackpot.

The filming for the show is over, but Sisk can't yet reveal how much weight he's lost. His goal is to get down to 250 pounds. The show premieres tonight at 8 p.m., central time.

Sisk said he now applies the disciplines of his faith to his health.

"This whole show, this whole concept, the whole process was a time for me to step back in order to be the man I need to be."

That's great Shane. Just, please, don't step back onto me.


Technorati Tags:
Streaming Judaism, Fat March, Christian humor, satire, humor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Beck thing's especially ironic since he's a Scientologist.