Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I am woman in ministry, hear me roar

The second annual “State of Women in Baptist Life” report, released by Baptist Women in Ministry found only 117 women serving as senior pastors of congregations of Southern Baptist heritage. “Some of those are just recently discovered by our research,” said Pam Durso, one of report's authors.

Hmm. That's interesting. Were they, uh, hiding?

Is this the beginning of a movement? Are Southern Baptist pastors all over the country starting to come out of the closet, stand up and declare they are women?

"It was hard all those years. The self-deception. Putting on a facade for the congregation, and even my family," said Pat Priddy, senior pastor of Worthington Heights Baptist Church in Crankville, Ky. "One day I looked in the mirror and saw, not a highly skilled, competent manager, motivator, executive and counselor, but a girl who just needed some affirmation and a shopping day at the mall. That's when I made the decision. Now I proudly mark the 'female' checkbox on all my submission forms, and I'm not looking back-- even if it means a decrease in pay."
We agree, Pat:
There is nothin' like a dame,
Nothin' in the world,
There is nothin' you can name
That is anythin' like a dame!
--South Pacific



Technorati Tags: Baptist Women in Ministry, Christian humor, satire, humor

No comments: