Sunday, April 8, 2007

Nothing but dust

...an Easter message from Iraq

"He killed death."
-- From Melito of Sardis' Passover Homily, c. 160 A.D., concerning the resurrection of Christ.

Our good friend Robert Fox has been in Iraq for a year, preparing food for Coalition forces and periodically donning his kevlar and running to a bunker during rocket attacks. He's homesick:
Passover Greetings from Iraq,

I undoubtedly will miss the Passover seder this year, but trust you will have a good one.

Lately I have been homesick, and it seems funny, as old as I am, to be this way.

What is homesick? And how to we get it, and where does it come from? The simplest answer I arrived at is that homesickness is when the life in you has no place in your present surroundings.

I get it when I understand this, and ultimately it comes from the life of Christ in you. Passover calls us to remember who we are, where we are from, and where we are going.

I long to be with you in this feast and talk of the going out of Egypt, and drink the cup. My comfort is the understanding that I am a part of something larger than myself and my present surroundings.

I walk upon sand and dust from the first kingdoms of the earth, and nothing remains of their glory. I wipe their dust off my TV screen so I can watch Tom and Jerry.

The point is that only one constant has remained true since the beginning of history: leave Egypt. The world is nothing but dust.

Have a great Passover.

Love, Robert


Technorati Tags: ,
, ,

No comments: