Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gaither/ Gothard: Separated at birth?

Is this a widespread misunderstanding? 'Cause it could explain a lot.

We were taking a group of foreign exchange students from Dallas to Fort Worth on the train yesterday, and I overheard a couple discussing why the train was so crowded.

"I think they're having a concert at the American Airlines Center," one woman said.

"Who?" another asked.

"I think it's Bill Gothard."

A Bill Gothard concert? This, of course, would be a first. Gothard's Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts has preached often about the evils of contemporary Christian music. I've still got my syllabus somewhere to prove it.

"I didn't even know that guy could sing," I said to nobody in particular.

Another woman looked around. "I think it's probably Bill Gaither, not Gothard."

"That makes more sense," I nodded.
Indeed, we soon passed a sign that said Bill Gaither and his Homecoming Friends were playing two concerts that day.

I was a little sad, because I hoped Bill Gothard had finally found his voice. Although I always say his Institute saved my first marriage, I have strayed from most of his teachings in the past 30 years. I haven't even thought of him in a long time, not since his organization attempted to set up a school in downtown Dallas a few years back.
But I know one thing. Even if Gothard starts singing, I'm not going to review him for "Ugly Christian Band of the Week."

Ever.

But Gaither on the other hand. Hmmm.


Technorati Tags: ,
,
, ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Baal Gothard! Hasn't anybody shot him YET?