Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The way of the Christian publishing hack

ABC Family Network recently announced that they will air a TV show based on the Samurai Girl series of books, and a remake of the 1954 classic Seven Samurai is in the works. So naturally it's time for a Christian imitation of this latest micro-twinge in popular culture.

The Way of the Christian Samurai: Reflections for Servant-Warriors of Christ, autographed by author Paul Nowak, is now available for $12 from R.A.G.E. Media in Mt. Laurel, NJ., long known as a spiritual center for Oriental wisdom.

The samurai, whose very title means “one who serves,” were skillful warriors of feudal Japan who devoted themselves fully to the service of their masters, willing even to sacrifice their lives in service to their lord. Christians are also called by their Lord, Jesus, to take up their cross and follow Him, and to seek to lose their life for His sake (Matthew 16:24-25).
Uh-huh. But I'm wondering about the photo on the book cover. What exactly is going on there?

I think I finally figured it out. The author is committing hari-kari.

And not a moment too soon.

FurlStumbleUponTechnorati Tags: Christian Samurai, Christian humor, satire, humor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the Door could jump on the bandwagon and spoof this? I could see you all having some real fun with it.

I've thought of writing such books (because they seem to sell) but I wouldn't want to soil my name in the publishing world.....and I think God might strike me down. ;-)

CaptainPB said...

I guess I'm not sure why you seem so snarky ... other than this being "The Door". I have made a years long study of Samurai culture and, after pastoring for 30 years I have seen some interesting ways that Samurai culture can 'inform' our Christian experience.
I have written a series of sermons based on "Samurai Christians". I do own the book you referenced and it is somewhat a 'lightweight', but I guess I don't see why "God might strike me down" or why it would "soil my name in the publishing world".

Matt Miles said...

There's a certain lack of research that went into this book. The samurai were the bad guys, historically. They oppressed the weak. So,if the book teaches us how not to be like them, well, I still won't buy a copy. But at least I'll shut up about it.

On the other hand, I heard the ninja walked on water...